My daughter decided to change Bibles. My guess is that at 17 she’s a little tired of cartoons strewn through her Bible and wanted something more grown-up. However, the study Bible she chose doesn’t fit in her cover. So, I made her a new one out of material left over from last year’s prom dress using a pattern from Amy Ellis over at FaveCrafts. It took me about 1 ½ hours from start to finish, with the quilting taking the most time.
I used this same pattern to make my Bible cover out of recycled jeans. Obviously, I didn’t quilt this one, but it’s pretty sturdy and has held up for a lot longer than I thought it would. Also, definitely use the method for calculating measurements that is described in the directions. It works! I didn’t use it the first time and made my own calculations. The cover came out ¼” too small! I had to make a whole new one!
The instructions use ties to keep the Bible closed. I made a knot and loop as a closure. You can also dress things up a bit with a cloak frog. I don’t like how Colleen’s new cover closes, though. The material is pretty lightweight, and I don’t think the knot is big enough. I’ll probably untie it and slip a large bead onto the piece for a more secure latch.
And yes, make sure you put the pocket in! Then you’ll always have a pen or pencil to underline those verses that speak to you while you’re reading. I just use the pocket on the cover of mine.